September 11, 2009

jewelry: accessory

With New York Fashion Week on going, there is much press about the upcoming trends of the season. Models are walking down the runway, displaying their designer's newest collection. In conjunction with the outfit, sometimes jewelry is worn. So this made me curious as to what kinds of jewelry is being featured on the runway this season.
Monique Lhuillier


Rosa Cha


Eddie Borgo for Jen Kao



Vena Cava
(via NYMag.)


I began to question the designs of fashion jewelry and costume jewelry, so I searched for more jewelry that was previously featured on the catwalk.

Often times, these pieces can influence others to design within a similar aesthetic.

Marni Acrylic and ribbon necklace $505 @ Net-A-Porter, Gerard Yosca Crystal Ribbon Necklace $345 @ Max & Chloe, Lanvin Three Row Pearl Ribbon Necklace $1220 @ Barneys New York, Long Ribbon Necklace $28 @ GUESS, Diamante on Lace Necklace by Alessandro Dell'Acqua $800 @ Vivre, Gemstone Necklace $7 @ Forever 21


(via Coutorture.)

I couldn't help but to notice the size of the jewelry. Maybe it's because these pieces need to be spotted on the runway, but a lot of them seemed extravagant to me.
I also noticed the material value of the pieces. Even with some pieces, using nonprecious materials, the price marked did not seem so reasonable. It makes me think about how marketing and the designer label has a large part in creating the value of jewelry. (For those interested in celebrities who design jewelry, I've read that Padma Lakshmi, Paula Abdul, and Kelly Bensimon have their own collection.)

In viewing fashion jewelry, I've come to an understanding that jewelry can be worn to complete the outfit, to make a statement, and to accessorize the body. But more importantly, what I realize and I begin to appreciate more and more is how jewelry can make one feel so powerful. I bet some models feel so great wearing an oversized bangle or necklace while they strut down the runway.

Now, in my making and designing process, I hope to create jewelry that will empower the wearer.


Fashion week is still on going, there will be more jewelry to see. Comments welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment