October 7, 2009

Better the World by Design

I was very lucky to have attended the three day Better the World by Design conference at Providence, Rhode Island. It was a very packed weekend of lectures, panel discussions, and workshops. The amazing thing was that this conference was only made possible by dedicated Brown and RISD students who organized and gathered all the speakers together.

This was my very first design conference and I have to say that it was really enriching. Listening to designers speak about their projects and ideas is very different from what I am used to. Compared to hearing individuals speak about jewelry projects for self expression, it was nice to hear about designers' projects that are such selfless acts to better community, society and the world. What I found wonderful was their passionate belief that using design as a tool can change the world. Applying creative design approaches to resolve social issues can be very successful.

Some ideas I want to remember:
Design is form giving.
Design improves life.
To get inspired, you need more data.
We don't need more new, we need more good.
If you want to make it happen, do it now.
Collaborate- gather people to make something bigger than yourself.
Design is a service to others.
Learn things outside your discipline.
Design is a verb.

Here are some pictures. Enjoy!




I took a tour of a local farm in Providence. I loved it!
Support local markets and eat those greens... We need to love OUR planet.



A great quote
"Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been. I have great faith in the seed. Convince me that a seed is there and I am prepared to expect wonders."
-H.D. Thoreau





Here are some additional resources:
Project M
Project H Design

No comments:

Post a Comment