October 27, 2009

I find comfort in looking at historical jewelry. Structure and form are present in those works.


Title: Woman's Bracelet
Date: 19th–early 20th century
Culture :Minangkabau
Geography: Indonesia, Sumatra
Medium: Wood, gold leaf, metal, paint
Dimensions- Hx W x D: 2 3/4 x 4 3/4 x 5 in. (7 x 12.1 x 12.7 cm)
Credit Line
Gift of Fred and Rita Richman, 1988
(via MMA).

Classic forms are always beautiful. It made me think about the time, environment and setting when much older pieces were made. Artisans back then did not have studio spaces like what we may have now. It amazes me how they handcrafted such jewelry. So I looked further into 'place' from the Photography Study Collection in the MMA site. I think it's a great place for some visual resource.





No comments:

Post a Comment