October 24, 2009

on defining

As I am searching and exploring the meaning of what jewelry means to me, I find a very helpful post from EvocativeObjects. It is titled "What is craft?" There, you will find a collection of meaning for "craft."
The one I really like a lot is
Craft, art, and design are words heavily laden with cultural baggage. For me, they all connote the profound engagement with materials and process that is central to creativity. Through this engagement form, function, and meaning are made tangible. It is time to move beyond the limitations of terminologies that fragment and separate our appreciation of creative actions, and consider the "behaviors of making" that practitioners share.'-David Revere McFadden
Chief Curator and Vice President, Museum of Arts & Design

No comments:

Post a Comment